A few days ago, my sweet little Ell-Bell turned one. I can’t believe it has been a year since the day my OB looked at me with sympathy in her eyes and told me she was referring me to Labor and Delivery for high blood pressure. A year since we called my in-laws from the hospital and told them it was time, that they needed to make the 4-hour drive to DC to pick up my son from daycare. A year since my Hubby had to call his current employer and reschedule his upcoming residency interview. A year since we decided, together with my OB, that a TOLAC would probably be pointless, and another c-section was in the cards. A year since I cried like a baby because I couldn’t breathe through my nose right before the surgery began. A year since Ell-Bell came out of my abdomen as the cheesiest, screamiest baby I have ever seen. A year since K-Man came to visit his new baby sister in the hospital — I’m still so grateful Hubby captured his reaction on video.* A year since we spent three days in the hospital recovering and getting to know our sweet new family member. A year since we learned how to change a poopy diaper when a vagina is involved. A year since I was so delirious from sleep deprivation in the hospital that I kept referring to Ell-Bell as a “he.” A year since we came home from the hospital to discover, in horror, that my father-in-law was doing our laundry. (He saw my underwear, you guys!) A year since we began our life at home as a family of four.
In honor of my baby girl’s coming of age, I’d like to dedicate the rest of this post to 10 Fun Facts About Ell-Bell. Without further ado:
- When Ell-Bell crawls, she swings her head wildly from side to side. It might be the cutest thing ever.
- Ell-Bell took her first solo steps when she was 11.5 months, but I don’t think she liked it very much. She still prefers crawling, but is getting more adventurous with her walking, too. She’s also really good at flapping her arms and correcting before she falls over. I’m worried she might take flight, though.
- She is a champion eater. My favorite thing is watching her eat rice. She scoops it up and smashes it into her face-mouth at impressive speed.
- Ell-Bell is a total TV-head like her big brother, but she also likes to torture him by crawling up to the TV and turning it off while he’s totally engrossed.
- She loves her big brother hard and thinks he’s hilarious. Even though he will never let her hold a toy for longer than 5 seconds before he rips it out of her hand. Even though he likes to “hug” her while slowly tackling her to the ground.
- Ell-Bell is extremely ticklish. For the first 8 or 9 months of her life, she had the weirdest little snort-laugh and Hubby and I were kind of nervous. But she has developed a charming little giggle lately. Thank gawd.
- She knows how to give kisses. Big, wet, slimy, open-mouthed kisses.
- Ell-Bell is obsessed with our Christmas tree. We basically can’t leave her alone in the living room because she will bee-line right for it. We also can’t have any ornaments on the lower half of the tree. Sigh.
- She has two goofy little teeth on the bottom of her mouth, which came in when she was about 10 months old. I’m wondering if she’ll ever get more.
- Ell-Bell likes to sneak away while we’re watching TV and try to crawl up the stairs on her own. When she gets caught, she laughs hysterically.
Happiest Birthday, baby girl, we love you so much!
Until next time,
* I made a video montage of Ell-Bell’s first year of life, and I’m kind of partial to it. I’ll put up a password-protected post right after this one with a link to the video if any of you care to see it. Just email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for the password.